The museum was founded in 1988, 5 years after the great Latvian poet Ojārs Vācietis (1933—1983) passed away. The museum is located in Pārdaugava at former Lielā Altonavas street, this is where poet lived with his family since 1960.
The house, which is the former pub “Jeruzaleme”, is more than 200 years old, and it has been visited by Garlieb Merkel and Rihard Wagner at their time. The building is also immortalised in paintings by J. C. Brotze. Visitors are welcomed to see the memorial flat and garden surrounding the house.