Albert Square is one of the oldest inhabited areas of Riga, where the Riga River formed a natural port. A Liiv village was located here, according to findings of archeological digs.
In the 17th century the present Albert Square hosted a horse post station that was abolished in the 1880's due to the railway development. The building of the post office and horse stables were torn down. In 1889 a park was set up here with the name Albertplatz and from 1923 - Alberta Square.