The historic Riga fortification walls have been gone a long time, yet the foundations of one of the bulwarks - Triangula Bastion - have been preserved. Now the site is presenting the exhibition "Riga Now and Then" with reproductions of historic engravings, informative stands and archeological materials introducing the city's development through the centuries.
In the mid-13th century, Riga was protected by a fortification wall and towers, improved by a rampart and four bulwarks in the 16th century. The 1727-built Triangula Bastion was torn down in 1859 yet the 4-metre-high foundations were not touched and can still be seen. Today these are the only remnants of the 16th-18th century Riga wall.
The exhibition "Riga Now and Then" tells about the development of the Daugava riverside from the wooden bank protection to the stone walls, from dykes to fortifications. Located on the second and base floor, the exhibition features reproductions of historic engravings with Riga's panorama and introduces the city's history under Swedish, Polish-Saxon and tsarist Russian rule, and Riga's development as one of the biggest fortifications on the Baltic shores.