Latvia has declared state of emergency to fight coronavirus spread which will be in effect until April 14.
What should I know about the state of emergency measures in Latvia?
As of March 17 until April 14 all international air traffic, bus traffic, train and ferry traffic will be temporarily suspended. If you are in Riga now and your scheduled departure date is later than March 16, please contact your transport service provider to change your travel date to a sooner one.
All the organized public events, meetings and demonstrations including concerts, sports competitions and night life events are cancelled starting from 13 March 2020. For further information, please follow the instructions and information given by the event organiser.
The indoor cultural institutions and leisure facilities can be open until 23. But most of the museums, theatres and cinemas can be closed, therefore for the latest information regarding opening hours, always check with the institution.
Unorganized gatherings in cultural and leisure facilities are allowed if the crowd doesn’t exceed 50.
On-site learning is terminated in all educational institutions and provide remote training from 13 March 2020. The termination also applies to all programs of cultural, sports vocational and interest-related education programs (trainings, competitions and rehearsals).
How do I take precautions?
Take care of your health and protect others by following the advice of the national health authorities:
- Wash your hands regularly – with soap, for at least 40 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid handshakes
- Avoid large groups (more than 100 people) and public spaces
- Keep a safe, 2 metre distance from others, especially those sneezing and coughing
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Use a paper tissue to cover your cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash your hands. If you don’t have a tissue, cough or sneeze into your elbow.
- Regularly clean frequently touched surfaces, such as doorknobs and mobile phones with household cleaning spray
- Stay at home if you have fever, respiratory symptoms, or believe you are sick
What to do if I am arriving from a coronavirus risk area?
Travellers who have arrived in Latvia from affected area, – should take special protection measures:
- Carefully monitor their health for 14 days after their arrival in Latvia (incl., taking body temperature twice a day)
- Call 113 in case of any signs of acute respiratory infection (rhinitis, cough, throat inflammation, increased body temperature, respiratory problems)
- Isolate yourself in the place you reside and avoid close contact with other people
- Don’t go to public places, don’t use public transport and get your groceries delivered. If there’s no any other way, visit the store by wearing a medical mask at the time when there’s few customers and maintain a 2 metre distance from others.
Where to get the latest information about the coronavirus (COVID-19)?
If you have any questions regarding the novel coronavirus and COVID-19 and your travels, please call Latvian Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (SPKC) help line 67501590 or 67387661 (open 8.30-17.00 working days). And check https://spkc.gov.lv/en for updates.
What should I do if I develop symptoms?
If you develop flu-like symptoms such as fever, cough, difficulty breathing, you should immediately call the direct emergency number 113 and inform the health care provider about your symptoms and of any recent travel to affected area
If the symptoms are mild, the State Emergency Medical Service of Latvia (NMPD) will come to your place of residence (e.g., home, hotel, etc.) and collect the samples required for the diagnostic testing. You will not be taken to the hospital and will remain in your residence.
If the symptoms are severe, the State Emergency Medical Service of Latvia (NMPD) health care providers will take you to the hospital and the diagnostic testing will be done while you are in hospitalization.
Positive results, who had not been hospitalized, will be telephoned, and contact tracing will commence immediately by SPKC epidemiologists. Please follow further directions of the local health authority.