The only Museum devoted to photographic art in Latvia has been open to the public since 1993.
In the halls on the second floor of the Museum there is the “Development of Photography in Latvia. 1839. – 1940” exposition, while the third floor space is devoted to Latvian and foreign photographers, as well as exhibitions from the collection. The Museum has been set up in an old 16th century merchant’s building. In the exhibition spaces one can see both multicoloured wall paintings, as well as historic decorated parquetry. The building is located in one of the oldest built quarters in Rīga, dating from 1500, close to the Rīga Film Museum and the Latvian Sports Museum on nearby Alksnāja iela.