St.John's Church is the oldest house of worship in Riga. Originally the Dominican monastery's chapel was located here in the 13th century. After several reconstructions, around 1500 the edifice acquired its present appearance - high Gothic pediment, span roof and a small tower.
In 1523 Riga City Council confiscated St. John's Church. A Latvian congregation acquired the church in 1582, though it turned out to be too small for their needs. In 1587 - 1588 the church was enlarged with a wing for the altar. During the 18th century St. John's Church sustained damage several times and was reconstructed. The present tower was built in 1849 according to a project by architect J.D.Felsko.
St.John's Church has a legend - in the 15th century two monks wished to become saints and were immured in the wall. While they were still alive, Riga residents fed them through a special hole. But they were not consecrated. There is still a cross-shaped hole in a wall where both bodies lie.